Sunday, September 5, 2010

Last day of summer!


Today is the unofficial "last day of summer" and I couldn't be happier! As you all know, I mostly loath summer and Autumn is my very favorite time of year so I have basically been counting down the days until Labor Day {which is when I consider it Fall as opposed to September 22}. I am so excited in fact, that I changed the blog background to something festive but did so before I got a proper autumnal photo of Amelia for the header but I think that will have to wait another month and I just didn't have it in me to wait that long for a background change.
Signs that Autumn is swiftly approaching: school starts this Tuesday {much to the dismay of my dog who sits at our front window growling to herself as the children pour into the elementary school across the street from our house}, it's not quite so bright out at 6:30am when Amelia wakes up, my arch nemesis {Starbucks} has rolled out their pumpkin spiced latte {I broke down and got one just to get a nice whiff of autumn smells}. I've been watching the trees like a hawk waiting for the first sign of crimson, gold, or terra cotta on the leaves. And last but not least I've narrowed down the hunt for a coat {in "black plaid"} and scarf.
The only downside is that poor Cheyenne is one of those freaks that's really only happy in the Summer. I suppose this comes from being raised in Nevada, Hawaii, & the Caribbean so it makes sense but...ugh. I'm fairly certain that in the last coming days of summer I'm going to go into the yard to find him sunning himself on a rock with his tongue sticking out like some kind of cold-blooded reptile
. In an effort to be sensitive {my happiest time of year = his least happy time of year} I am going to force myself to wait until September 22nd before I make an apple pie and fill the house with pumpkin, spice, or apple scented candles and Halloween decor.
But, you readers, will know...just under my kind "summer loving" surface I am buzzing with Fall joy and already plotting trips to the orchard, pumpkin patch, Oktober Fest and picking Amelia's first Halloween costume and planning the birthdays of my mom and Josie {September 24th} and perfecting my Thanksgiving menu while giving Summer the bird in my head.


No comments: