Sunday, March 7, 2010

One week down...18+ years to go...

Today marks the end of my first week as a stay at home mom and I feel good about it. It started off a bit shaky but we have started to get a semblance of a routine and I'm feeling more confident and comfortable which of course means that Amelia is less fussy.
Monday mornings are a bit rough because Cheyenne has a standing conference call with the office in France and has to be at work an hour and a half earlier than he needs to Tuesday-Friday. This means that Sunday night i have a longer than normal shift and Monday morning starts sooner, for my first day on the "job" that was a kind of hard transition. Tuesday was a bit better because I had gotten more rest and we were able to stay in bed until 7:30am. Wednesday was the start of things falling into place. On Thursdays I babysit my friend Meegan's dog Betty so that she (Betty) and Josie have someone to play with all day and they get some socialization and energy out, this is totally fine but i was feeling a bit frazzled with both dogs underfoot and lots of cleaning that needed to be done. Luckily my friend Samantha came over to chat and play (we took the girls on a nice long walk through the park and spent the rest of the afternoon chatting in the sunny living room) and i must say, even though i didn't get the cleaning done it did calm my nerves quite a bit. Friday was amazing with a kind of routine to the day.
Also nice, I find it very calming for both Amelia and I for me to read to her...a lot. So everyday now we read for hours in the afternoon, she calmly sits there and listens/watches and snoozes with the blinds open and the sunshine pouring in. I think between the sunshine, the talking (which keeps her alert and unable to fall into a deep REM sleep) it's helping her get her days & nights back where they should be. As a treat for all of the reading that I've been doing for her she has started to fall asleep at 10:00pm and her nighttime feedings have gone from 30-60 minutes down to 15-30 minutes. Much nicer!

No comments: