Wednesday, July 21, 2010

R.I.P.

It's true, i have a very "relaxed" view when it comes to death. Between having grandparents and uncles in the funeral business {and thus growing up with an odd kind of "shop talk" at family gatherings} and being an atheist I tend to view things related to my death with a fairly clinical aspect. Making a will and picking out a burial plot, are in my mind not at all morbid but rather a smart idea that should be taken care of when you're nice and healthy instead of leaving these up to your grieving family to sort out.
Which leads me to our will{s}. Years and years before we actually HAD a baby, Cheyenne and I decided on a god-parent that we would have take charge of our child/ren if we should both die. However; now that enough time has passed and we have an actual child we are rethinking our choice. It's not that we don't love this person or that this person isn't in our lives anymore {quite the contrary, which is why I'm leaving the identity so ambiguous}. But said person's life situation has taken a turn that neither Cheyenne or I saw coming and the would-be household is not exactly what we would want Amelia {and/or any siblings she should have} living in. "Awesome".
So now we not only get to deal with the disappointment of the godparent not working out but now we're back to square one. Ugh. We have someone{s} picked out as a first choice but...how does one bring that up in polite conversation? "Uh hey, yeah, so I was thinking we should all go to the farmers market. Speaking of travel....wanna be the person{s} our child goes to should we die?" yeah that just seems weird.
I'll have to think on this. Any ideas?

No comments: