Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Holiday decadence begins.


As I mentioned in a previous post I made "apple pie" caramel apples over Halloween weekend. You may be lucky enough to have tried one of these at The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory but if you're like me you dont have a RMCF within a one hour radius of your home {ours is located about 20-30 miles South of Portland}.
Well, without too much effort I was able to recreate this amazingly {bad for you} treat. I firmly believe that diets have no place between October 1st & January 1st. So without further ado here is my "recipe":
"Apple Pie" Caramel Apples
1. In a round cake pan mix together brown sugar {I prefer dark but use what you like} and cinnamon to taste then add a little nutmeg {I cannot tell you how strongly I suggest grating fresh nutmeg over the pre-ground stuff which is almost always stale before you even buy it let alone after hanging out in your cupboard for a year or more}. Set aside.

2. I started with organic "honeycrisp" apples because they are our {by "our" I mean everyone that I know} favorite. But please use whatever apples you prefer. I do suggest staying away from apples that are mushy {golden or red delicious for example}.

3. I made my caramel from scratch using Martha's recipe but feel free to "cheat" and use the Kraft caramel squares melted {if you go this route use a little less water than the package suggests otherwise your caramel might just slide right off of the apple}. When the caramel is nice and smoothly melted dip and swirl each apple in the caramel then place them on buttered parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Once all apples are covered make sure to refrigerate them for at least an hour.

4. Melt white chocolate {I used Valrhona chocolate but you can also easily use Baker's or Ghiradelli if that's what your local store carries} in a double boiler {if you don't have one then use a heavy saucepan over very low heat}, once it's smooth and melted dip and swirl each apple. let the apples cool slightly so that they are still tacky to the touch.

5. Place apples {one at a time} in the brown sugar mixture and use your hands to press it up and around the sides of your apple {I like to leave a little band of each layer showing but do as you wish}.


6. Enjoy!


p.s. We ate/shared all of mine before I thought to take any photos. The one I used is from a google image search...mine looked like that but a bit messier :)



No comments: