Tuesday, February 22, 2011

.Okay, so I caved to the pressure.

It seems that everyone born in 2010 is starting to walk these days...everyone but Miss A. Clark that is. Now, I have read about 1.5 million {slight exaggeration but not much} books on babies, toddlers, development, etc and have the AAP's website as well as various other trusted sites book marked on the laptop and those references get checked and rechecked for every little question I may have. At this point I feel like I could write my own book on the subject!
That being said, I know what all of those sources say on the walking subject "children develop at different rates. When it comes to learning to walk there are many factors including genetics, height, temperament, and motivation just to name a few. Don't compare your baby to another because they are all unique. Babies learn to walk between 9 months and 16 months on average and you should not need to consult a doctor unless your child has reached 18 months and isn't standing".
I know that. I do. But lately I have been bombarded with other very adorable children born between 2 days and 4 months of Amelia who are already toddling along. Meanwhile, my little one is more than content to *cruise* around along tables, baby gates, and other pieces of furniture but flatly refuses to practice "real" walking. If we try and help her by standing behind her holding her hands {in classic parent pose} she will pull her legs up at a 90 degree angle from her body with the strength of a gymnast.
So, I let it get to me and I broke down and sent our pediatrician a slightly panicked email {you know how I get}. As soon as I read her reply I breathed a sigh of relief - then started looking up athletic scholarships and medical schools ;-)

Response from Dr. Mari Kay Evans-Smith

"Hi Nichole,
Thanks for your message. It is actually totally within the normal range to not be walking at 13 months. Neither of my kids walked until 14-15 months and one is an elite basketball player and the other is a fitness instructor so it definitely didn't effect them developmentally/physically to walk later. I also tell people that Dr. Bluhm, my pediatrician partner didn't walk until 18months LOL. If my patients aren't walking by 18 months I send them for a developmental evaluation because at that point they may need some physical therapy. You and your husband were unique I think to walk so young. I think you can encourage her by giving her plenty of floor time. The push toys are great too. Right now she is probably so much more efficient at crawling and can get where she wants to go that this is her preference.
Let me know if I can help any other way. You're doing a great job parenting!!
Take care,
Mari Kay"


No comments: