Friday, July 6, 2012

.Mortification.

Kids say the most embarrassing things sometimes. Case in point: Yesterday Amelia & I were at the pool and  she was playing over in the shallow in with a little boy that looked to be just slightly younger than her. Sidetrack: the kid {not mine} was fat. I know that sounds mean, but he was the level of overweight that you usually only see on episodes of Maury Povich, to say that he was a McDonalds fan seems to be an understatement {and yes, I find that very sad and not funny}.
So, Amelia and the little boy are kind of playing in the same area with his mom and I near enough to make sure that they are safe when I notice that Amelia is openly starting at this child with her mouth agape. Nice {please note my sarcastic tone}. Then I saw the other mom realize that my overly skinny child is apparently horrified by her overly obese child and I tried to do damage control by saying "oh is that a little boy? Have you made a new friend?" instead of just playing along as I had hoped, Amelia reached over to him and extended her index finger to reach out and point directly to one of the kid's chins and say "Mama, what's that?!"
Shit. Just seriously, what the hell Amelia? I didn't know what to do so I said "it's a little boy sweetheart, he looks like he might be your age. Can you say hi?"
Instead of heading the extreme case of "mom glare" that I was giving her she just kept pointing at this poor child and yelling "what's that?!" and I realized that although *I* know that she's asking "what's that" it must sound like she's saying "it's fat!" to people that don't speak fluent Amelia-ese. So the kid's mom is giving me this death glare as she surely must think that my a-hole kid is calling hers "fat". Double shit.
I had just no idea what to do so I chickened out, grabbed Amelia and pretended like we needed to visit the bathroom then sneaked off with my social monster.
Oy vey.

 

No comments: