Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Let it snow let it snow let it snow






This afternoon on my lunch break I went outside for my daily mid-day walk (it's the only way i can be this pregnant and work a full shift). I made it 1 block from the door and said to myself "self, this is WAY too cold!" and I turned around and went back to eat mashed potatoes and warm up. When i got back to our building I went downstairs to tinkle (as i do a million times a day these days) in the time between walking in and going down to the bathroom and coming back up the stairs it started to snow! I was so surprised and wasn't expecting it that i went out to the street and said to a total stranger "I'm sorry but my eyesight is really bad...is it SNOWING?!" to which he said "i was wondering the same thing...I think it is!". Awesome! I love snow! So i skipped back to my desk with mental pictures of playing outside in the pretty snow with my husband and wee dog.
I called Cheyenne to see if it was snowing in Beaverton (where his office is) and sure enough it was, we both decided that he should leave and pick me up early so as to avoid what was sure to be a traffic nightmare (god forbid the people of Portland realize that driving in the snow here in the valley is EXACTLY THE SAME as when the drive in the snow on the mountain every weekend when they go skiing and snowboarding).
Cheyenne left his office at 2:45pm and didn't get to mine until 3:45pm (this normally takes 10-20 minutes depending on traffic). Then it took us (brace yourselves) 4 entire hours to get from my office to our driveway (instead of the usual 15 minutes)!!!!!!!!! A combination of pregnancy hormones and having to tinkle (again, 1 million times a day folks) means that i spent 3.75 of those hours fantasizing about shooting my fellow Portland drivers in their faces with a rifle.
We made it home safe and sound (because, seriously you guys, there is 3 inches of snow on the ground...it ain't no blizzard) and got to play with the dog which is all very nice and our neighborhood looks like a winter wonderland.
I'm still pretty bitter about that commute though.

No comments: