Friday, April 23, 2010

A rose by any other name...

I find myself in this scenario on a daily basis: we're in the store or somewhere in public with our daughter and someone will see her and coo and make googly eyes 'cause ya know, home-girl is gorgeous, and the stranger will ask her name....

Me: Amelia Grace
Stranger: Oh my! That's a beautiful name! I just love it! What do you call her for short?
Me: Um, Amelia.
Stranger: Oh, I guess there really isn't a nickname for it is there?
Me: Nope, kinda one of the selling points for us
Stranger: *blank stare*

Is it so hard to believe that a person can go by their given name without wanting/needing a cutesy shorter version? Cheyenne and I were both under the same belief that if you like the shorter nickname version of a name then THAT is the name you give the child, picking a longer name with the intention of never using it but instead using the nickname for it is a bit stupid. However, when you try and tell this to people they give you a look like you are some kind of communist. hurmph. For future reference to all strangers that ask the name of my child: my husband and I have a list of baby names for future children and none of them have a nickname..."sorry".




No comments: