Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's a sign.

On Tuesday we had a "guest speaker" in our mommy & me group come talk to us about infant sign language and I must say that I was so impressed and had so many of my questions answered that it looks like we will be starting to sign with Amelia in July (apparently you are supposed to start at 6 months).
Dawn Prochovnic from SmallTalk Learning (which is located at and affiliated with Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital where we have our mommy & me group and where I had wanted to have Amelia) is really fantastic. She has two children of her own that she taught to sign and loved her results so much that she underwent training (she already had a masters in speech communication) and opened SmallTalk about 10 years ago.
Cheyenne and I had talked about infant signing back when I was still expecting and because of some studies (that it turns out are very outdated and have since been disproved) kind of cooled to the idea. However, those concerns have been addressed and explained and we are back to being on board and excited about the program and being better able to communicate with our little one (because clearly, she has some things on her mind). Yay for a someday soon (around 7-9 months) no more crying for "no reason"!

No comments: