Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rock solids.


As previously mentioned at separate times we are starting Amelia on solid foods sometime between the last week of June - first week(s) of July (a timeline that we agreed on with the pediatrician and the AAP) and I will be making my own baby food instead of buying pre-made store bought jarred food.

Our pediatrician (the fantastic Mari Kay Evans-Smith MD) suggested that we pick up the book "Super Baby Foods" by Ruth Yaron and read it though before we start Amelia on solids and start making our food.

I got it yesterday and have already read 1/4 of it so far. It's fantastic and I strongly suggest that (this is for those moms or would be moms that read this) you read this book. Ms. Yaron covers several different levels of homemaking your food from the all out follower (myself) which is great for stay at home moms with the time or just a few key things that can be made in seconds for those moms with fewer time but who still want to try and give their child the most nutritious healthy food possible (why would you open an over-processed jar of banana baby food with tons of stabilizers and god knows what when in almost the same amount of time you can mash a real banana with a fork?). There is so much information in this book that I plan on actually reading it at least twice through before the time comes so that I can really process everything and have a firm grasp on it (hello reading material for the airplane).

Reading through the book is making me so excited for this next big step for our little girl and it's so surreal that she's "grown up" enough that I'm already planning solid foods!


No comments: