Tuesday, October 18, 2011

.Playroom plans {or the death of Man Land}.

One of the things that we got Amelia for her birthday {yes, I already have my January shopping done - our garage is full of Christmas and birthday gifts} was this kitchen set.
 I had originally planned on getting her the red retro kitchen from PBK {and I still like it much more} but we saw this one in person and she LOVED it so I figured why switch it up if I know that this one is a success?
Cheyenne & I both decided that the best place for this kitchen is upstairs in what was once known as "Man Land" but has been taken over in recent months by a certain female toddler. There have been tons and tons of studies and lots of research done proving that a bedroom should only be used for sleeping to create a better atmosphere for good sleep habits. I have personal experience that for me conclusively proves this and therefore am very very adamant that the same will apply to my child's room. I don't believe in toys outside of a few stuffed sleeping buddies and some bedtime books in a bedroom - a bedroom/nursery should make the inhabitant unconsciously sleepy, sort of Pavlovian. So far I have been very successful.
This brings me to the plans for changing the "megadome" into a "big girl playroom". This winter after or around Amelia's birthday I plan on rearranging the furniture in our family room a bit so that about 1/3 of it is more of a playroom {the other part is where we have our entertainment center and such}. There's more than enough room because our "family room" is actually a fully finished attic of the house so it's super long.
In addition to the kitchen set, we're going to add these:
.A cute table & chairs set.
.A book rack to organize her 3 million books.
.An easel for art and to counterbalance the girlishness the kitchen.
.Much needed toy storage.

   

I think it'll all go really well with the Ikea rug that my mom {Grammy} got for Amelia last year {I think it was a Valentines gift}. The book rack would be great with this Ikea chair that we got for her a few months back, what a cozy reading area.





Then I was thinking that we could paint the 1/2 wall that surrounds the stairwell with chalkboard paint since it's the very perfect height and easy to do.
As for artwork I like these a lot:
.Playroom rules, love it - comes in many colors this is just the sample.




So there's the main idea. I think it'll look really cute and {more importantly} be a lot of fun and entertain her for hours and hours. As for "Man Land" Cheyenne gave up on it being the family room a while back and has sine overtaken the garage.

No comments: