Tuesday, May 8, 2012

.Summer essentials - {pregnant} Mom edition.

Yesterday I did a little post on what we consider essentials to get through summer days with Amelia. Today is a list of the things I have purchased/used for myself. Keep in mind that baby Alice arrives August 21st so my entire 3rd {and physically largest} trimester spans the entire length of summer.

.Swimsuit from Old Navy, Sperry flip flops from Nordstrom, Sunglasses from Chico's, Personalized beach towel from Pottery Barn, Beach tote from Pottery Barn.

If you're going to be a giant preggosaurus rex I suggest a black swimsuit that provides good tummy & butt coverage, since I have giant bazooms I like something with a bit of a low neckline so as to take the focus off my "trouble spots". Also, since this will be my last summer of pregnancy I didn't want to spend an arm & a leg on a swimsuit that would only get use this year - this one from Old Navy covers all of my bases {inexpensive, black, right coverage, boob action}.
In the summer time I simply cannot bear to have my feet encased in shoes, it's much too hot for such nonsense. However, cheap crappy flip flops always end up leaving my feet covered in blisters and callouses and need to be constantly replaced since I walk just about everywhere. Instead I like to "splurge" on Sperrys {they're a splurge in flip flop terms in my oppinion}. A single pair gets me through the summer with much less pain and hassle.
As mentioned before I have a fear of premature wrinkles that are easily avoided so I like to make sure that my sunglasses have UV protection to keep those crows feet at bay. These ones from Chico's are currently on sale and look great while providing UV-400 protection.
Just like Amelia, I have my own personalized beach towel from Pottery Barn. It just makes sense to me when at a public pool.
And I like to carry everything in a {personalized} beach tote from Pottery Barn. I'm positive that you can get personalized/monogrammed towels & totes elsewhere if you're not a Pottery Barn fan, but for what it's worth I like these a lot both in quality and price.

.Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer {body}, Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer {face}, Neutrogena Sport Face sunblock, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunblock spray, Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Soother, Biolage After Sun shampoo, Biolage Protective Daily Mist, Sigg water bottle.


I am pale. Very very pale. I have porcelain skin with cool undertones and I don't believe in sunning myself - so yeah, I look like a glass of milk with arms and legs. Normally I find my pale skin really pretty and embrace it. However, in a black swimsuit in a pool, in public that can be a bit harsh looking. So a little color is in order but what to do if, like me, you don't want cancer/sunspots/wrinkles/burns? There are a bazillion self tanners out there and each works differently on everyone and you only know what works for you through trial and error. For me the Jergens Natural Glow line is amazing. It's cheap & easy to get at any drugstore, it gives some color without making me look orange or fake tanny, and it's easy to apply. I use both the body lotion and the face lotion to give myself a safe sunkissed glow.
Once I'm out & about though it's time for the mega-block. Just like with Amelia, I really like the Neutrogena sunblocks. They are broad spectrum {meaning they block both UVA & UVB}, cheap, and just like the Jergens you can buy them at any drugstore. I use the SPF 70 sport on my face because it's good for my sweaty self and really protects from sun damage. For my body I like the ultra sheer spray in SPF 30, since the bottle is metal I keep it in the fridge so that I get a super cold mist that feels great on a hot day. Both sunblocks {face & body} are sweat and waterproof so they go to the pool & beach as well as just puttering around town.
To protect my lips I use the Neutrogena {I swear I haven't been paid by them to endorse this stuff, I just honestly like them} Moisture Shine lip soother with SPF 20 in the color "glaze". It gives me a pretty tint of color {my lips aren't overly pigmented} while making sure that I have a decent SPF protection. I have one in my purse and one in my tote. They come in a bunch of colors and you should check them out if you're looking for something with a bit more color than regular SPF chapstick.
For my hair I love Biolage products. I think I have used every single shampoo line both high end and low end in the last 16 years or so and I always come back to Biolage {though I do mix it up in the winter}. Their "sunsorials" line is great in the summer to protect from sun/chlorine/saltwater damage. I like their protective spray, shampoo, and deep conditioner. I order right from their website but I know many salons carry it in the summer months.
And last I dont go anywhere without a water bottle. Ask my mom and you'll know that Cheyenne & I don't drink any other {non-alcoholic} drink besides water {the idea of soda makes us both cringe} and with the combo of summer and pregnancy you can bet that my water intake will increase tenfold. I REFUSE to buy plastic bottles of water {seriously guys, those are evil and if you use them please stop it}. We have several Sigg & Kleen Kanteen bottles around the house {Chey has one at work, in the car, in the fridge, and on the shelf and I have the same}. My favorite is the "Wuthering Polka" design from Sigg because it's so pretty. They have a ton of designs and I think you can even design your own {though I never have}. I like to keep one in the fridge at all times in the summer so that I can rotate when I finish one.
And there you have it. Add lightweight cotton sundresses, leggings, and tops, a hat, and you have everything ya need for the summer!

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think Ima check out that Jergen's stuff, you're the second person I know who has used it. Just to be clear, it doesn't get orange-y? Also I loved both of these posts, it's good inspiration for my own organization!