Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My name is Nichole and I'm a mother.

The trouble with being one of just 2 moms in my social circle is that I find myself making light of this major life change in order to make others more comfortable. I'm often asked for "gruesome details" or get told "I wouldn't want to be in your shoes" when things like teething or travel come up. Instead of saying what I should {"actually, teething isn't so bad. She needs extra cuddles sure, but it means that she's growing up and to me that's really exciting." or "She's a good baby so we're thinking that traveling will be okay if we plan it right."} I end up saying things like "yeah, geeze, crying and stuff that sucks". But am I really making anyone "comfortable" when I'm so clearly holding things back? Doubtful. I was asked by no less than 6 female friends not to turn into a cliche mom that says sappy things like "you don't know what love is until you have a child" or "I would do anything for my kids" and I emphatically promised not to while making retching faces at the mere thought of such a thing.
But here's the thing, those cliches are in existence for a reason. You really don't understand the kind of all consuming love that a human is capable of until you have a child, you really would do anything on Earth without a second thought for your child in a way that you wouldn't have thought possible. And doesn't that make me a "good" mom? Why do I feel the need to apologize for loving my baby? My priorities and goals are not the same as they once were, I've grown and changed {just as we all do} and I'm happy about who i am and where I am. I honestly would rather spend the evening cuddled up with my husband and looking at our baby than anything else there is.
Yes, there are hard days {just as there were pre-baby} but they are actually pretty few and totally worth it. I'm in the role that I always wanted and I'm loving it more than I thought imaginable. I don't pass judgement on my friends that choose not to have children and I have to hope that they are not doing so to me. So from now on, no more. Here is the truth: I am blissfully happy, i love my child and could talk about her for hours, i am there from the moment she wakes up until i put her to bed at night and 10 minutes after she's asleep I miss her and have to force myself not to go pick her up and snuggle with her some more then i go to the living room and look at photos or videos of her with Cheyenne and we marvel at how amazing she is. I'm a mom and it's the best thing in the world.

No comments: