Saturday, January 8, 2011

.The arts.

Before we even began trying for a baby Cheyenne and I agreed that it was important that our future child/ren learn an instrument. There have been countless studies proving the many many benefits of learning an instrument not to mention that Cheyenne and I both love music and want to instill that love in our child/ren.
About two years ago I started researching which instrument would be best for a child to learn. I knew that I wanted to go with a string {because we all know it's the best instrument family} and that violin or piano were my two top favorite. The pros for piano were obvious: it sounds pretty faster, Cheyenne knows how to play, and my mom is a pianist so there would be at least two people around to help with practice in addition to a professional teacher. The cons: buying a piano. Then I began looking into the violin and stumbled upon tons of information about the Suzuki Method. This is what I was looking for! A nurturing environment for very young children to learn and appreciate music - specifically learning the violin - the more I read the more I became convinced that this was the way to go.
Two years, and much more research later, and I'm more convinced than ever and quite excited for my daughter to get to grow and learn along with such beauty. I've done quite a bit of sleuthing and after several email "conversations" with local teachers I have found "the one".
The Bennett Suzuki Violin Studio of Portland is fantastic! Edie Bennett has trained with Shinichi Suzuki himself and has spent more than 35 years teaching people ages 2-80 how to play the violin in a fun and nurturing environment. With Edie's advice I will be playing the Suzuki level I CDs as well as classical violin concertos throughout the day when Amelia and I are playing/cleaning/napping etc so that she's getting exposed to the sound and feel of the music. Then, next January she'll begin her lessons with an adorable little 1/16 sized violin {google it, super cute}. Yay! I'm so excited to be sharing my love of the arts with Little Miss.
Ballet lessons begin in January of 2013 at the Portland Ballet {don't even pretend to be surprised that I already know this}!

p.s. for an example of one of Edie's students go here



No comments: