Friday, March 25, 2011

.That doll everyone is talking about.


There's a new baby doll out in Spain called the Bebe Gloton that was created for children to promote breastfeeding. I've heard so many people talking about it and freaking out. The thing is, I don't know what they are bothered about. I think it's a great idea and if it were available in America I would get it for Amelia over a baby doll that uses a bottle in a heartbeat.

Quite frankly, I think it's kind of gross that there are so many dolls that promote bottle feeding as the first and only option and it teaches children the wrong thing. Someday, when we have another child Amelia will surely be around when her sibling is being fed and I think that if she had a doll that pretend breastfed then it would only make sense to her when mommy fed her brother/sister and wouldn't register on her radar as something to be bothered by or concerned about. I think it's a great teaching tool in that regard as well as from a health education standpoint.

Now all I need to do is fly to Spain and get one...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Growing up in a culture where breastfeeding is the norm, I'm really surprised at how Americans are so private about this. I'm glad you feel this way and I think that our society should really get over the boob(s). If it wasn't for the boob, we all wouldn't be here.

Chole Clark said...

Yes! We are in total agreement. Everyone seems so up in arms about this doll...I just dont get what they are upset about? I find it more upsetting when children have no idea how the human body works - the very basic of which is breastfeeding. I saw a bunch of hens clucking about it on the tv and just wanted to yell "they're boobs - get over it!"