Tuesday, March 13, 2012

.Looks.

You know what I wonder about the most with this pregnancy? Not whether or not it's a girl or boy {I couldn't care less which one it is} but what level of resemblance this baby will have to Amelia, or me or Cheyenne. Not having a sibling my main point of reference most of my life was my extended family: my paternal side all look EXACTLY the same, you can tell a Shalz from a mile away. The same can be said for my maternal side, my mother and her siblings all look the same.
However, now that I'm pregnant I've been paying more attention to friends that have more than one child and I've been naively noticing for the first time that almost as often as siblings looking just the same they can/do look totally different and almost not related at all. For example, one of Cheyenne's friends from college has two daughters, both of whom are adorable, and they look NOTHING alike - one daughter looks just like her mother and the other looks exactly like her father. And it makes me wonder what I've got brewing in my my womb. Will I get someone that looks just like his/her big sister or totally different?
Amelia, it has been said millions of times, is very close to being my clone at the same age with very few and very slight differences {lighter hair and eyes and taller}. This is not to suggest that my genes are significantly more dominant than my husbands, all of the Clarks look the same and all of the Whiteheads looks the same so really Amelia's super close resemblance to me is more of a genetic roll of the dice verses a matter of dominant and recessive genes. So perhaps #2 will look identical to Cheyenne and then we'll each have our own little mini-me that will forever have to say things like "yes, that's really my sister, I know we don't look alike".
So the waiting game goes, and it's not like I'll really have my answer on August 21st because it takes a couple of months for babies to shake of that "newborn look" and grow into the looks that they'll have later in life. It's an interesting though indeed. 


No comments: