Monday, August 29, 2011

.Recipe of the week.

Today may be Monday but I am in fantastic spirits! Last night my bestie {Miss Holly Streed} came over for wine and hanging outs {as we call it} that was long overdue. Ahhh, girl time. Also, just in general, we had a great weekend which is always a good thing leading into a new week. And, starting this Friday at 5:00pm Cheyenne will be on vacation {which means I will be too}! Yay!
Adding to my great mood is today's weather. Don't get me wrong, I have been thoroughly enjoying summer {which is never ever something that happens} but having a day of grey skies and drizzle after weeks of heat and sunshine is more than welcomed by this rain lovin' gal. It's supposed to warm right back up in the next 48 hours so this is just a break but it's nice. Now that I've had a taste of cool down I can tell you that I am looking so forward to my very favorite season {autumn}. I took the dog and baby on a walk this morning just so that I could smell the air {is there anything better than the smell of the rain on the parched earth?}. During the entire walk I stared down the trees trying to will them to change their colors.
Since it's cooled down today I think im going to enjoy some foods and activities that it's just been too hot to enjoy lately. For lunch im making grilled cheese & soup for Mimi & I and we'll be dancing around the house and singing along with Elizabeth Mitchell. Also, since it's finally not painfully hot {which to me means 84...I know it gets hotter where you live but anything over 84 is so repulsive to me that there just aren't words} I can bake! Yay! Something gooey and chocolatey is just what the weather calls for today. Lucky for me I found a recipe on Cake Events Blog that sounds like just the thing that I'm hankerin' for. Enjoy!


Espresso Chocolate Walnut Brownies

Ingredients

Vegetable-oil cooking spray
¾ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup cake flour, or ¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1½ tablespoons finely ground espresso beans
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil, then spray the foil with cooking spray.
Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about six to eight minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Stir in the ground espresso and set aside.
Fill a medium saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heat-proof bowl and set over the simmering water. Turn the heat to low. Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring frequently, until completely smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture just until the flour is absorbed. Stir in the nuts.
Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Bake until a crust forms on top and the center is still somewhat gooey, but not Baywatch jiggly, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pan set on a rack. Refrigerate two hours. Cut into 1-inch squares to serve.

Recipe & additional photos found here.



No comments: