Monday, August 29, 2011

.School days.


School starts back up next week, and at the risk of sounding like a freak, I'm excited. You see, we live across the street from an elementary school {the same one that I went to for 1st-3rd grade} and the first day of school coincides with the time of day that Cheyenne leaves for work. For the past couple of years we have been lucky enough to play voyeur and watch families dropping off their little ones for their first day of school. It's always so sweet and fun. There's a fun energy in the air that even the two people without a school-aged child can feel. Parents choke back tears and independent kiddos go running full throttle towards the next chapter of growing up while other kiddos look on apprehensively until a friend in the making comes along and introduces him/herself.
The first day of school at Sitton Elementary always makes me wistfully think about the day in the not too distant future when my own independent social butterfly runs out of my arms towards her future. I warn everyone now: I. WILL. BE. A. BASKET. CASE. Which I am sure is no surprise to any of you.
Today while reading my daily blog list I came across the idea for the above photo. I love it! I have filed it away and fully plan on taking a similar photo on the first day of school of my children each year along with the accompanying stats then put them into a book with other photos from the school years. I'm sure that the day that she goes away to college I will sit at home with a glass {or bottle} of wine and the scrapbook and have a good long weep. Worth it.

No comments: